Persuasive Essay Topics: 18 Great Essay Ideas Examples
A persuasive essay is a type of custom writing that attempts to convince the reader that the opinions presented are correct.
Do you think aliens or vampires are real? How can you convince your reader that they exist? Films achieve this with the help of technology, as seen in the once-popular sci-fi film Avatar and the horror fiction Vampire Diaries. These films take the audience to the surreal world of vampires and strange creatures that are believable to the human eye. Conversely, as a writer, you need to use words to craft a persuasive write-up about your topic.
Persuasive essays are very similar to argumentative essays except that a writer presents a one-sided opinion, giving valid reasons and solid facts on why that opinion or argument is correct. With an argumentative essay, the writer discusses the topic by presenting points on both opposing and proposing sides, as is the case with verbal debates. The writer employs logic to reason with and sway the reader into adopting a particular view. Such essay assignments are commonly given to high school and junior college students. They help students master persuasive skills, which can be helpful for students in all disciplines, including sciences and social studies, as well as in business and their social life.
- 1 Persuasive Essay Structure
- 2 Our Sample Persuasive Essays
- 3 Tips for Finding Persuasive Essay Topics
- 4 Qualities of Good Persuasive Essay Topics
- 5 Some Persuasive Essay Topic Ideas for High School
- 6 College Level Persuasive Essay Topics
- 7 The Importance of Research
- 8 Writing Persuasive Essays
- 9 Getting Help With Your Persuasive Essay Topics or Essay
Persuasive Essay Structure
Like most academic essays, a persuasive essay has an introduction, the main body, and a conclusion. The introduction gives a sneak peek of the essay, the main body presents arguments supported by facts, and the conclusion summarizes the essay’s main ideas.
Our Sample Persuasive Essays
Before you place your order, you may want to sample some of the example persuasive essays written by our experienced persuasive essay writers to gauge the quality of our writing.
Are Delivery Drones the Future of E-Commerce? (Format: APA 7)
Should Mobile Phones Be Banned in the Classroom? (Format: MLA)
Tips for Finding Persuasive Essay Topics
Sometimes, essay topics are not given by the professor. Therefore, writing persuasive essays begins with selecting a topic. In such a case, a student is required to choose appropriate persuasive essay topics to write about. To help you do that, here are a few tips:
- Think of subjects that interest you. Feel free to select a topic you will enjoy writing about, not just one you think will please your professor. Obviously, you should not purposely pick a topic that will bore your audience. Nonetheless, focusing excessively on what you think your teachers would like to read is a mistake. Most professors want to see you write in your own style and argue your own ideas, supported by facts.
- Select a topic you are passionate about, not one on which you are conflicted. You will likely be unable to present your views and convince your audience if you are conflicted about the side on which you stand. For example, it may not be wise to argue that every state should abolish the death penalty, but you also think that child molesters deserve the death sentence. The audience of your persuasive essay or speech must not detect any sign of internal conflict in your argument. Being passionate about the persuasive essay topics will also make the research and writing tasks enjoyable, and your emotion will also be reflected in your writing. This will help you persuade and change the reader’s mind.
- Don’t over-obsess with political correctness. You should avoid playing it too safe and shying away from a controversial issue. However, for a school setting, you may want to strike a balance between boldly expressing your views and not offending your audience with overly inappropriate persuasive essay topics.
- Think about your personal experiences or those of people you know. Real-life events can be a source of inspiration to help you formulate an interesting topic.
- Think about what you know. Start with general subjects that you are familiar with, then narrow down to a specific topic. It will be easier for you to write a good persuasive essay if it is a subject in which you have knowledge. This is especially important if you have limited time to write your essay, as you will do the legwork faster.
- Read. Topics abound in books, newspapers, journals, and the web if only you conduct research. The importance of research in persuasive writing cannot be overstated. Research is important for formulating your title and finding evidence to back up your ideas. A research paper published in a peer-reviewed journal could present the credible evidence you need. This involves reading widely and sometimes talking to experts in your subject of interest. Sample persuasive essays can also inspire you on topics to write on and serve as examples of how to write your essay. A point to remember as you conduct research is that your institution likely has a strict policy against plagiarism. Therefore, avoid presenting someone else’s work as your own.
- Brainstorming helps in coming up with an idea or refining the one you already have. Discuss your ideas with friends or other people around you, but this is not a license to copy someone else’s work. The purpose of brainstorming is to help you get ideas. Weave in your own perspective to make your essay unique.
- Contemporary issues in society often inspire persuasive essay topics, so pay attention to current trends and events happening around you. It helps to develop a list of several persuasive essay topic ideas and then carefully evaluate them further to pick the best one.
Selecting a good topic for your essay is among the most important and often tricky parts for many students. Here are a few characteristics against which you should evaluate your topic before you start writing the essay.
Prices Starting At:
PLAN - PRICE
$10 a page
$12 a page
$14 a page
$20 a page
$23 a page
Qualities of Good Persuasive Essay Topics
The topic should be specific. The essay topic should be broad enough for you to comfortably meet the required length of the essay but not too narrow that you cannot write more than a few short sentences on it.
- A great topic should have some complexity and depth.
- A good topic for a persuasive essay is debatable. Pick persuasive essay topics that society is talking about or arguing about.
- The topic must not be overdone. Most times, a topic that has been tackled repeatedly is not the best choice because it is likely that society has already reached a consensus on the matter and is no longer being debated.
- Is there adequate literature to support your opinions/ideas? There should be enough literature to provide facts to back your thoughts in order for you to write a good persuasive essay. You don’t want to start the writing process, then have to find a new topic because you realize that there’s no credible literature to back your ideas.
We have compiled a few appropriate topics for your persuasive essay assignment.
Some Persuasive Essay Topic Ideas for High School
- Should students perpetrating cyber bullying be expelled?
Cyberbullying can undoubtedly have grave consequences for the victims. There has been agitation in some quarters to have cyberbullies in schools face the consequences, such as expulsion.
- Is college education the key to a successful life?
There are varying views on whether a college education is required in order to have a successful life. In most cases, employers hire candidates who have a college education even when the job does not require it. Conversely, many people lead successful lives, yet they have no college education. For example, American business mogul, Bill Gates, dropped out of Harvard University to found Microsoft. It raises the question- Is college education important?
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
The death penalty has been abolished in some states, many more still practice it, and others have the death penalty allowing gubernatorial moratoria. Some people say the death sentence is a fitting deterrent to serious crimes but is it a cruel, dehumanizing practice that should be abolished.
- Should civilians be allowed to carry guns?
The US has recorded 27 school shootings between January and May 2022. The frequency of these mass shootings has elicited gun control debates. Do civilians with guns help stop crimes such as mass shootings, or does the freedom of civilians to carry guns pose more danger?
- Should the minimum voting age be lowered?
21, 18, 17, or 16 years? Just how old is old enough to vote? Are teenagers old enough for the responsibility of voting, or should voting be reserved for young adults and older citizens?
- National security prevails over individual privacy rights.
The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) asked Apple to grant them access to an iPhone user’s data in 2016. The user was a key suspect in a mass shooting. The US government argued that gaining access to the suspect’s data was vital for investigations and preventing future shootings. This elicited mixed reactions, with some experts saying that the act would violate individual privacy rights. This raises the question, should violations of individual privacy rights be allowed for the sake of national security?
- Parental consent should not be required for teenage girls to access contraceptives.
Teenagers have free access to contraceptives, but lawmakers have come up with proposals requiring teenage girls to engage their parents before they can get access. Should the right of teenagers to freely access contraceptives be upheld?
- Smartphones are killing communication.
Smartphones have changed the way conversations are carried out, but are they killing the art of communication? Are we missing out on the crucial benefits of voice calls and face-to-face conversations?
- Should medical marijuana be legalized?
Marijuana helps relieve symptoms of various illnesses. There have been debates on whether marijuana prescribed by a doctor should be legal. Some US states have legalized medical marijuana. Do you think it should be legalized across the US?
- Is commercial testing on animals right?
Safety tests for products such as drugs and cosmetics are often tested on animals to ascertain their safety. Animal rights activists and other parties disagree with this practice.
- Should mercy killing be allowed?
Euthanasia, which refers to the killing of patients with painful, incurable diseases or irreversible comas, is done to relieve suffering. The practice is allowed in some states, but it is frowned upon and illegal in many states. Is it an ethical practice that should be legalized or not?
- Should mandatory sexuality and parenting classes be taught in school?
Parents are responsible for teaching their children about sexuality, contraceptive use, and parenting. However, do parents sufficiently teach their kids these subjects? Some schools ask parents to fill in consent forms, allowing schools to administer sexuality classes. Some parents do not consent, yet they do not teach their children about these crucial topics. Should there be a law that mandates the teaching of these topics in school?
College Level Persuasive Essay Topics
- Should guns be allowed on campuses?
Research shows that guns on campuses only pose a greater danger of violence and do very little to stop shooting rampages. Do you think guns should be allowed on college campuses or not?
- Should breastfeeding in public be allowed?
Mums are given a hard time now and then for breastfeeding their babies in public. However, some people think that breastfeeding in public, just like bottle feeding a baby in public, should not be controversial.
- Should the travel ban on Muslim-majority countries be implemented?
There have been mixed reactions on whether the executive order to ban visa issuance to travelers from six Muslim-majority countries should be implemented.
- Should recycling be required by law?
Recycling helps preserve the environment, but not everyone practices it. Some think that by making it a legal requirement, more people will begin to practice recycling. What’s your position on this?
- Should workplaces have a more relaxed dress code?
Some employers feel that relaxed dress codes negatively impact productivity and should not be allowed in the workplace. Others think that it improves creativity and productivity in the workplace.
- Should bench trials replace the jury system?
There have been arguments that juries are not made up of people with the necessary legal expertise; therefore, they should be abolished and replaced with bench trials where judges are solely responsible for making judgments.
These are just a few tips to help you in persuasive essay writing. You can write persuasive essays on various subjects, including health, food, technology, history, law, religion, and governance. Just follow the guidelines stated above, and you’ll be well on your way to writing a good persuasive essay. Alternatively, you can buy an essay paper from us and use it to further your research.
The Importance of Research
Whichever topic you choose, always remember the importance of literature sources. These sources enrich knowledge, meet the academic community’s expectations, and identify and support arguments. You must always find out whether a topic has been overdone or has enough literature to back it up. You can only find the answers to these questions by immersing yourself in literature to filter out the overdone persuasive essay topics and find facts, examples, statistics, and quotes to provide supporting evidence for your essay. It requires and demonstrates an ability to research, understand, and integrate information from multiple sources. Common, reliable literature sources include journals, scientific magazines, textbooks, and reports that can be examined for relevance to the topic at hand. There are multiple online resources and databases to find a book or a journal article that you can use to search for relevant information sources. Possessing good research skills and selecting good persuasive essay topics is crucial. However, good writing should accompany a good persuasive essay topic and extensive research. As such, a student must learn the skills of effective writing. Learning good writing skills will help you write better essays that will keep your readers interested and persuaded. This can be difficult for some students, especially those for whom English is their second language, but it is not an impossible task.
Writing Persuasive Essays
Once you settle on the topic and choose the position on which you will base your essay, the rest of the work can then begin. You still need to create an outstanding piece of writing. You will need to research your topic further to provide evidence for your ideas and structure your writing according to the persuasive essay structure. As any guide on how to write a persuasive essay will tell you, your essay must be organized in paragraphs with a logical progression from one paragraph to the next.
- Introduction: There should be an introductory paragraph that includes a strong, authoritative thesis statement. Begin the introduction paragraph with an attention-grabbing fact, question, or contradiction.
- Main Body: This section should have at least three paragraphs. Each body paragraph should state a single main point and present evidence that supports the point, view, or argument you are making. Examples may also be included in each body paragraph to clarify and support your main points further.
- Conclusion: A good persuasive essay must always have a concluding paragraph where you restate your position and include a summary of the essay text. If your introduction included non-rhetorical questions, you should include answers in this section as well. Focus the conclusion on giving your reader a strong message that will linger in their mind.
Finally, remember that a big part of being effective in persuasion is the ability to appeal to your audience’s emotions. Be creative and take full advantage of persuasion techniques. As with any type of writing, keep your work clear, concise, and error-free.
Getting Help With Your Persuasive Essay Topics or Essay
Further, before you take the step of faith and place an order, check the testimonials from other customers. We are a reliable writing service provider and always keep our word by delivering quality academic writing services in a timely manner. We ensure the service you get is worth the money you pay whenever you need help writing a paper. You can trust us to provide expert help for all your academic writing needs.
Originality & Confidentiality Guaranteed
We only provide original, non-plagiarized papers. We never recycle, reuse, or resell papers. Placing an order on our website is safe, private and anonymous.